Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content




1. When does the CE review period begin and end?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of odd years. The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year. Note, license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.

2. Who is required to comply with the CE requirement?

Generally, all producers who were licensed at the beginning (April 1) of the review period must satisfy the CE requirement. The CE requirement does not apply, however, to a producer until after the first renewal or first eligibility for renewal of his or her license. In addition, limited line representatives/agents, including title insurance, travel accident and travel baggage insurance, are not subject to the CE requirement.

3. Do the current lines on my license determine which courses I must take?

No. Credits do not apply to specific lines of insurance.

4. How many credit hours must I earn?

Resident producers licensed as of April 1, 2009, must earn a minimum of 24 CE credit hours each review period. Of this total, a maximum of six credit hours can relate to insurance agency management in one review period. Any producer licensed for property and casualty have a one-time requirement to take a three hour course on the National Flood Insurance program. All producers must complete at least three credit hours from courses categorized as Ethics. Flood and Ethics credit hours are included in the Producers 24 total credits hours and not in addition to.

5. When must I comply with the state’s CE requirement for this review period?

All producers should have completed their CE requirement by March 31st, however this requirement does not apply to a producer until after the first renewal or eligibility for Renewal of his or her license. So for example, if a producer is newly licensed effective October 1, 2008 they would not have to satisfy the CE requirement until March 31, 2011.

6. May I receive an extension to complete CE requirements?

For good cause shown, the Commissioner may grant an extension of up to six months. In order to request an extension, you must submit a “Request for Extension” form (attached) to the Department by March 31st. The Department must receive all “Request for Extension” forms by the close of business on March 31st. The extension does not reduce the credit requirement for the following review period. If a producer is not CE compliant at the end of the extension, Vermont law requires the Commissioner to suspend the producer’s license.

7. If I earn more than the required number of credits this review period, may I use the extra credits in the next review period?

No. You may not carry credits over from one review period to the next.

8. May I receive credit for taking the same course twice in the same review period?

No, not if you have already received credit for the course during the review period. However, you may retake the course in the next review period and receive credit. Students attending classroom courses to prepare for a professional designation may receive classroom credit hours or credit for passing the exam, but not both. (Classroom credits are applied to the review period in which the course is completed. Self-study credits are applied to the review period in which the examination is passed).

9. Is a separate CE requirement imposed for each line of authority I am licensed in?

No. The (24) credit requirement applies to all producers regardless of their lines of insurance.

10. May I earn credit for teaching an approved CE course?

Yes. Instructors of approved CE courses will earn the same number of credit hours for instructing as the students receive for successfully completing the course. Credit for teaching is subject to the rules regarding duplicate courses within the same licensing period as outlined in the answer to question 9.

11. Am I required to report my CE credit hours?

No, the provider who offers the course will report the producers credit hours through Compliance Express. However, a producer shall maintain a record of credit hours for the current and most recently completed licensing periods by retaining the original course completion certificates, and must be prepared to demonstrate compliance with continuing education requirements at the commencement of the license renewal process.

12. How will I know when I have earned enough credits to reach compliance?

Each course completion certificate will indicate the credit hours received for that course. The producer must accumulate a total of 24 credit hours in order to be in compliance with their continuing education requirement. Each producer is responsible for tracking his/her own CE credit hours. A producer can check their CE credits on the Sircon Web site:

14. Who should I notify if my address changes? The Department or Prometric?

Send all address changes to the Department. Prometric does not process address changes. You must inform the Department in writing within 30 days of a change in your mailing, residential or business addresses.

15. What happens if I fail to satisfy the CE credit requirement by the end of the review period?

If you have not satisfied the CE requirements by March 31st, and have not received an extension, the Department will not renew your insurance producer license. If you received an extension and did not satisfy the CE requirement by the end of the extension period, the Department will suspend your license. Be aware that if the Department suspends or does not renew your license for failure to satisfy Vermont CE requirements:

  • You must complete the CE requirement for the period in which you are deficient and
  • Completing the CE requirement for a prior period does not reduce the CE requirements for a new review period.

16. If I request an extension, how are excess credits earned during the extension handled?

If you are granted an extension from the Department to complete your CE requirement, the Department will not split course credits for a course completed during that extension period. Credits may not be carried over from one review period to the next.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Licensing Section – CE
89 Main Street, Drawer 20
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101

Grievance and Appeals Process

If you feel any decision by the Prometric relating to CE has been unfair or incorrect, you may appeal the decision. Your first action is to send a letter to Prometric describing your complaint and the relief you are seeking. Include your full name, residential address, and daytime telephone number. Prometric will attempt to resolve the issue through written or phone communication. Prometric’s address is: Prometric, Attn: Vermont CE, 1260 Energy Lane St. Paul, MN 55108

If you are dissatisfied with Prometric’s response, you may appeal directly to the Department. Again, your appeal should be in the form of a letter describing the problem and your desired solution, including the personal information described above. Contact the Department through the following address: Vermont Department of Financial Regulation, Licensing Section – CE, 89 Main Street, Drawer 20, Montpelier, VT 05620-310